Below are the steps we follow at IMAN when conducting an Islamic marriage ceremony:
1. Ideally an in person meeting (or at least a phone conversation) with IMAN personnel who officiate Islamic Weddings no less than one week before the date of ‘aqd of nikah and preferably sooner to familiarize all parties with the process, requirements and timeline.
2. The bride and groom to familiarize themselves with the Marriage Contract document and reach agreement well in advance of the ‘aqd of nikah being recited. The form needs to be completed in advance.
3. Support and approval from bride’s family members.
4. Agree on witnesses and representation for the bride and the groom. At present our (IMAN’s) procedures are for the bride and groom to either represent themselves and perform the ‘aqd of nikah or to appoint one of the IMAN personnel as wakils (representatives) to perform the ‘aqd of nikah on their behalf.
5. If this is a marriage to be registered in State of WA, a marriage license from State of Washington. If the marriage has already been registered elsewhere, a certificate of marriage from the authority that registered the marriage.
6. Schedule time and venue (usually IMAN Center, 515 State Street, Kirkland WA 98033) for the ‘aqd of nikah to be performed. If the marriage has not been registered yet, it must be at least 3 days after a license has been issued by the State of WA.
7. Actual ‘aqd of Nikah ceremony at agreed upon venue. For Directions see http://iman-wa.org/cms/about/directions/) . We require two pieces of ID from the parties and witnesses for our records (e.g., driver’s license and passport/credit card).
8. Sign the paperwork to document the Islamic marriage.
9. We will issue the Islamic marriage certificate (Click here for a template).