وَإِذَا طَلَّقْتُمُ النِّسَاءَ فَبَلَغْنَ أَجَلَهُنَّ فَأَمْسِكُوهُنَّ بِمَعْرُوفٍ أَوْ سَرِّحُوهُنَّ بِمَعْرُوفٍ ۚ وَلَا تُمْسِكُوهُنَّ ضِرَارًا لِّتَعْتَدُوا ۚ وَمَن يَفْعَلْ ذَٰلِكَ فَقَدْ ظَلَمَ نَفْسَهُ ۚ وَلَا تَتَّخِذُوا آيَاتِ اللَّهِ هُزُوًا ۚ وَاذْكُرُوا نِعْمَتَ اللَّهِ عَلَيْكُمْ وَمَا أَنزَلَ عَلَيْكُم مِّنَ الْكِتَابِ وَالْحِكْمَةِ يَعِظُكُم بِهِ ۚ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ وَاعْلَمُوا أَنَّ اللَّهَ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمٌ
When you divorce women and they have reached their set time, then either keep or release them in a fair manner. Do not hold on to them with intent to harm them and commit aggression: anyone who does this wrongs himself. Do not make a mockery of God’s revelations; remember the favor He blessed you with, and the Scripture and wisdom He sent to teach you. Be mindful of God and know that He has full knowledge of everything. (Qur'an 2:231)
Our policy at IMAN is to ensure all necessary steps have been taken to annul your marriage in the eyes of law before providing a couple with an Islamic divorce certificate. For this we require appropriate supporting documentation.
To dissolve your marriage according to local and Islamic laws, you need to:
1. Consult a lawyer and/or review General Information and Instructions about Ending Your Marriage.
2. Get a Talaq pronounced to dissolve the marriage Islamic-ally.
We at IMAN can help you with step #2 above provided step #1 above has been completed first.
To dissolve the marriage Islamic-ally, we follow the following procedure:
1. Meeting to review the situation for Talaq and to determine the next steps. The meeting can be scheduled with IMAN personnel on either Thursday evenings between 8:30 – 9:30 PM or on Sunday between 10:30 AM and 1:30 PM. To schedule this meeting, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or leave us a voicemail at (206) 202-4626.
2. If the marriage is not reconcilable, and after the marriage has been annulled according to the local laws (see discussion above), a second meeting is scheduled to pronounce the Islamic Talaq and dissolve the marriage Islamically. To prepare for this meeting, the couple seeking Islamic Talaq needs to:
Familiarize themselves with the Islamic laws pertaining to divorce applicable to them Islamic Laws : Divorce » Introduction
Fulfill, or reach agreement to fulfill before the Islamic talaaq proceeding, all obligations set by the Islamic marriage contract between them.
3. Described below is what happens and what is required at the proceeding to pronounce the Islamic Talaq.
The couple seeking divorce needs to present two valid photo ids (e.g., driving license, passport or equivalents).
The couple seeking divorce needs to present a copy of the original divorce decree issued by local governmental authorities that clearly documents the annulment of the marriage according to the local laws.
Two independent witnesses at the pronouncement of the Islamic Talaq also need to present two valid photo ids (e.g., driving license, passport or equivalents).
The couple seeking divorce needs to confirm in presence of the two witnesses that the parties have fulfilled all obligations set by the Islamic marriage contract between them.
Husband or his attorney pronounces in Arabic the appropriate prescribed formula for annulment of the Islamic marriage
Signing of the Islamic Talaq certificate by the couple, witnesses and the person who officiates the pronouncement of the Islamic Talaq.
A certificate documenting the Islamic Talaq is provided to each of the person formerly married.
Fees: $250 Payable to IMAN The fees help cover the operational expenses of IMAN, which is a volunteer-run non-profit organization.